The chat rules are the same as the Community Guidelines.
Key ones / Additional chat-specific ones are:
· Be respectful of all participants.
· Keep the language and topics of discussion appropriate for all ages and in English.
◦ No cursing/swearing
◦ No sexual/sexually suggestive topics
◦ No nudity/Sexually suggestive actions on camera [LPU Chat only]
· Do not type in all capital letters. (AKA: Shouting)
· Do not flood the channel by typing the same thing more than 3 times in a row
· Keep on topic. Do not spam.
· Do not type or respond to messages in the form "If you like Linkin Park, say 'aye'." / “Who likes Linkin Park?”
· Do not post links to MP3 files of any song (Linkin Park or other artist). This includes to sites like Limewire or other Peer2Peer sites, YouTube or other video sharing site. This is copyright infringement and will result in an instant ban from the chat, either permentantly or temporarily. You may also be banned from the site.
· Do not ask people to add you as your friend. Just click the “Add as Friend” button on their profile if you wish to add friends.
· Do not ask people to check out a specific thread or video in chat. Just post the link in your profile.
· Do not sign on as/ impersonate a band member/staff member. This will result in instant ban from both chat and the site.
· Do not discuss the private lives of an artist
· Do not ask tour related questions in a band chat
· In the event a band member visits the chatroom, please, do not flood the channel with questions for the band member(s). The LinkinPark.com chat does not have a “moderated chat” option like in the Linkin Park Underground, therefore, it will be more difficult for the moderators and band members to respond to your questions. Also, please only ask your question ONCE.
· If the moderator currently in chat asks you not to do other things that may not be in this list or the Community Guidelines, please respect them and listen to them. We can not include all the rules on this list as it would get to be too long.
In the event of any of the above happening, there is a chance you may be kicked from chat by a moderator. If you are kicked, this application will have you automatically banned for a pre-determined length of time (4, 8, 12, or 24 hours). This is non-negotiable, as it is set as standard for the application. Therefore, if the rules aren’t adhered to, you may find yourself taking time out. Please do not flood administrators or chat operators regarding being removed from chat (or the website). This includes posting comments to their profile and/or sending private messages asking why you were kicked or insulting the staff member for the suspension. This also applies to other sites/social networks you may be friends with them on (ie: Facebook, Twitter, 8 Bit Rebellion, etc)
· the program is a flash (not java) application which should allow unrestricted access to all members registered to the defined website. [However, access may not be possible on select mobile phones, namely the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch]
· You can private message individuals by clicking their username, selecting “private message” and when a text box opens, typing in there.
· It has a user limit of 300 people. After 300 users join in, users may get bumped or the chat may slow down (usually referred to as “lag”)
Some key points:
What you should do to get in the chat:
1. Get there Early.
In the past the chat rooms have had room occupancies of about 300 people. After that the chat will not let anyone else in, and sometimes the mods will have to kick someone out to make room for the band member. Get a spot early: an hour is good maybe two or three if you like chatting to other people in anticipation.
2. Account for the time zones.
LP time is in California, Pacific Time (GMT -8:00 November – March; GMT -7:00 March – October). Use http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ to make sure what time to go. Unfortunately, the chat can happen anytime: while you are at work or at a time you prefer to sleep. Expect to make a sacrifice if you really want to go.
3. Go in the chat now
make sure your computer and connection can handle the chat application. It's a horrible feeling to try to enter on the day of the chat only to find out you don't meet technical requirements.
LP requirements are: [note I just copied directly from the old SparkArt LPU requirements, so they may need corrected]
Windows XP service pack 2 PC
1200+ MHz processor or OS x 10.4 or higher compatible Mac with G5 processor or higher.
video accelerator, 512 MB RAM
350 MB hard disk space
IE 7.0+ / Firefox 2.0+ / Safari 3.0+ / Chrome 4+
update your Adobe® Flash if you seem to be having problems.
4. Be patient
Sometimes events happen that delay the band member from getting to the chat room at the advertised time.
5. Users videos & microphones in LPU chat
These will be disabled for all users except the band member during the band chat.
6. Make sure your question fits in the character limit.
Go to the chat and find out how many letters you can type without having to break the question in half. It would be unfortunate if the moderator thinks you didn't finish your question or only half your question gets forwarded.
How The chat works:
Even though 300 people can get into the chat, the band simply doesn't have the time to type out 300+ answers (that would take HOURS). So they have to pick a select few people to answer to.
1.- Question Pitch:
You ask your question. Everyone can see what you have written, so please stay on topic. [unlike LPU Band Chat's which are Moderated Chats]
2.- Linkin Park chooses some questions:
The band member looks at the questions and answers a couple he thinks are the best. (Note: they do not answer all the questions that have been voiced). After he finishes and posts his reply, he will scan the chat for the next question that he thinks is good. This circle keeps going until the band member says he's out of time.
Note that due to the volume of people chatting, the chance of one person's question of getting answered is LOW to begin with. Do not get angry when you find out your question didn't get answered. The chats are supposed to be fun and laid back, so I suggest you sit back and enjoy the chat casually and not put very high expectations on it.
Other special requests during a band chat:
1. Stop talking and follow directions
Mods have a hard time running the chat when their screen is clogged with people ignoring the request to stop talking/behave or people who think that they have to ask their question again because the band member didn't answer it straight away. Stop wasting time. The longer the chat takes to start the less time the band member has to answer questions. This can possibly mean that you don't get a chance to ask a question. Also, please do not ask “Is (band mbr) here yet?” or the like. They will arrive as soon as they can.
2. Dealing with people who misbehave.
If you do not follow the rules, the moderators will not issue warnings or ask you to stop. The rules are clearly posted in several locations throughout the site. Since this is a band chat and their time is very short to begin with, if you misbehave, you will immediately get suspended from chat for a minimum of 4 hours, although it could be longer.
3. About "dumb" questions
Please do not ask “dumb” questions/comments, including but not limited to: questions about touring (ie “when will you come to my country?”, “Come to ______ we love you”); statements about their current styling (hair, clothing, etc); “what is the meaning behind (this song)”; etc. Again, the band member does not have very long to stay in chat, so ask questions that are .. meaningful [think of the band chat as if it were an interview with the band member for a well known magazine/radio program.... if you don't think it would be asked by a professional interviewer, it probably isn't the best question to ask in the band chat]
4. Do not post videos/screenshots of the LPU Chat anywhere.
This is a member-only chat, so please help keep it exclusive by not posting videos/screens of the chatroom. As of this time, to some of our understandings, posting text-only summaries of the chat on your fan sites are ok. But this is subject to change if we get an official ruling from HQ.
* Chats have been known to last from a half hour to two hours